Humility in Leadership

The final question Ruscio brings up is a concerning one: can “our democracy survive a leader without humility?” A great point Ruscio makes is that humility does not need to mean weakness, even though it sometimes inherently does. Strong leaders that are authoritative and visionary can also be humble in their ways. This humility comes from their character as Ruscio believes it is “not a skill acquired,” but a true telling of their personal character (Ruscio, p. 2). I think as a society we look to the character of our potential political figures when we consider our vote. Most people are going to try to choose a leader that reflects their values while also reflecting the characteristics of a decent human being (i.e. kindness, respectfulness, etc.). After reading Ruscio’s argument, I think humility is a characteristic that is unconsciously overlooked, yet very important in our democratic system.

The idea of the “’pruning theory’ of power” is also an interesting concept in the face of our democratic system and current political climate. Ruscio describes the theory as political power growing after being cut back (p. 4). He uses the example of Washington leaving office after two terms. This example paired with the theory highlights an important point that in a democracy “the office is bigger than the person” (Ruscio, p. 6). Throughout history, presidents have striven to make change for the greater good and to use their voice and authority to uphold the office because they understand this idea. They recognized the humility necessary to not let the title/position of the president go straight to their head. I’m not so sure our current president can say the same.

1. Reva Henderson Reva Henderson

I agree that humility is often over looked but is very important. Humility makes a leader more human and relatable. People want to see themselves in leaders. Humility is an important trait we over look but should understand its effects more.

2. Regenia Miller Regenia Miller

I believe humility only involves one’s ability to admit to weakness and/or the ability to say “thank you”. When leaders display humility, they give hints to the way their character has been shaped and molded. It could have involved environmental factors, economic, social, etc.
    The statement you made about people choosing a leader that reflects their own values got me thinking. Does America’s election of Trump as president reflect how it does NOT value humility or that it does not even hold much humility itself? Both?
    Perhaps the “pruning theory of power” could be applied to American politics as the Republicans once had grand hold of the government before Democrats did circa 2008 and on. It was only recently when the Republicans regained control of the house…it was kind of like a minor setback for a major comeback type of situation. I wonder if this same theory will play out after the next election season.