Humility

I want to start out by saying the last line of this paper was really intense (“We are testing whether our democracy can survive a leader without humility.”)  This reading was almost dramatic (NOT saying it was overdramatic), and I believe that was intentional because it really is trying to bring attention to the fact that we are in unchartered waters right now. It’s a little exciting.

So, humility. Honestly, I was a little thrown off by Ruscio’s definition of humility. It didn’t seem solid and he kept using “a bent in one’s disposition” which is too archaic to keep repeating without follow-up, I think. I also didn’t really buy reticence as being the opposite of arrogance, but whatever. Weird, obsolete definition aside, I was incredibly interested in how Ruscio framed humility as not only a key trait in successful democratic leaders, but as a necessity. Ruscio does this by breaking down American democracy into its base values of equality, liberty, and tolerance. And when viewed like this, it only makes sense of a leader to have a sense of humility or at least have an inclination to be humble.

Ruscio’s first example of humility is, of course, George Washington. He claims that our first founding father was “the extraordinary man who made it possible for ordinary people to govern.” While that line in itself probably deserves a whole blog post, I honestly don’t know enough about Washington to do it. Sorry. But from what I do know in addition to what is here, that rings very true. Washington is also a prime example of Pruning Theory that was mentioned. I’d never heard of Pruning Theory, but it’s exactly what we discussed in class. American values seem to groom its citizens to really like reluctant leaders. Sometimes “power grows by cutting it back.” Sometimes, however, it doesn’t. The reading mentions that we have these preconceived notions of what values we thought everyone felt the same about. Pruning Theory is one of those notions. This last election really changed how American citizens view their country and themselves.

1. Natalie Benham Natalie Benham

I agree that this whole concept of humility is very interesting and I completely believe that good leaders are able to admit their flaws and show that they have weaknesses like the rest of us. I do wonder why that has been downplayed though because like in the beginning of the article, Ruscio talks about how the prime characteristics of leaders are all of these bold, independent, manly qualities but humility is not one of them.

2. Regenia Miller Regenia Miller

Truly, this current administration could go either way. The event of Pelosi calling for Trump’s impeachment shakes things up even more because it is so near to election season.

I myself did not understand how “reticence” contrasted with “arrogance” as the former could be characterized as a personality trait and the latter as a behavioral trait.

Do only democratic leaders need to be humble to be successful or all types of leaders of all different regime types?

America’s base value of liberty can only result from humility. America should never forget where it came from: under British power. Therefore, humility remains as an important aspect to fall under liberty.