In my own little corner, on my own little rock ♫

It’s been another 4 weeks since I had been to my reflection spot and it has changed even more since then. I’ve been to Pony Pasture a handful of times for other reasons than reflecting for my blog posts. But it’s always refreshing to sit down on the same exact rock that leans over the water and just observe.

Professor Lookingbill made a point during a trip the Wetlands section of the James River a few weeks ago that no matter where in the world you are, if you can find a river and just be there, you can re-center yourself. I’ve definitely experienced this feeling. As the semester begins to come to a close and all our assignments’ due dates are looming in the near future, I felt myself immediately relax when I sat down by the river. All the stress in my shoulders just melted away as I looked out over the water. I was able to reconnect with myself and put things into perspective.

Last time I visited my reflection spot, the leaves had changed significantly from vibrant green with lush foliage everywhere to autumnal reds, yellows, and oranges; now, almost all the leaves had fallen and the woods looked barren. There were only 2 ducks on the river the whole time I was there. An elderly couple sat on a bench nearby and met another older man later on; other than those three people, I was the only other person in the park. Even though it was relatively warm for a November day, there were definitely signs of autumn and the coming winter around. It was hard to find one of the paths that runs along the river because so many leaves had fallen on the ground.

During my first visit to my reflection spot, we had only begun to learn about the James River. Reflecting on how much I’ve learned about the James River and its long history, I can appreciate the power and complexity of the immense river. In our Geography of the James class, we’ve learned so much from the geology of the Fall Line, Richmond’s colonial history, the development of Richmond into an industrial city, and the current issues we face as we try to restore and protect our city’s water source. One thing I thought about as I sat upon my special rock was something Ralph White said when we met him in class a few weeks ago at Pony Pasture park: behind every rock in the river (and there are many of them) is a large fish waiting to catch its food; and for every large fish, there were many more small fish. Even though I can’t see into the water because the level is still at a normal height, I can try to imagine the amount of life that lives in the river. Even though it may not be in the best health, it still contains much aquatic life and biodiversity.

Though this is my last blog about my reflection spot, I will definitely be back to Pony Pasture many times in the future. I look forward to seeing it through the winter and spring months and watching it come back to life again before next summer.

The river changing from early September – Mid-October – Late November

One Response to In my own little corner, on my own little rock ♫

1. TRL says:

What a great idea to stitch this picture together to represent your time on the river!