Volunteering

Ralph White told our class that the James River parks system is made possible by volunteers. After my experience with the William Byrd Community House I feel confident that staying active by volunteering helps raise awareness and connectivity.

After arriving at the William Byrd Community House, our group shuffled through the Community House into the library and were given a short orientation. The speech briefly covered the main aspects of the William Byrd Community House and the various programs that provide assistance to young students, family support, and make it a strong community center.

Our job was to pick up leaves that had fallen to the ground in front of the building. They posed a safety hazard to children who could slip and fall. It seemed trivial but I convinced myself it was contributing to the community. As I was shoveling leaves off of the road and into a pile, a car full of people pulled up beside me and offered bottles of water to myself and my fellow volunteers. At that point I began to feel a strong sense of belonging, developing a bond with the community I was working in.

The city of Richmond community is similar to the James River. The more connected and active I am in the community the more I can relate to the issues effecting it. The University of Richmond feels segregated from the city of Richmond. The many programs the William Byrd Community House has are not focused on University of Richmond students as their focus demographic so a bond between community and person is never created. The same could be said about the James River. Going to the James River allows visitors to experience the various sights and sounds the James has to offer, leaving a lasting impression and creating a bond between the James and its visitors. Being active on the James will raise awareness for issues effecting the ecology of the river. The more I visit the James the more invested I feel into its preservation, making volunteering a worthwhile activity.