Potomac Excursion

Above the confluence of the Shenandoah and the Potomac Rivers a railroad loomed, symbolically raised as though to represent the domination of human development over natural processes. I saw this at Harpers Ferry in West Virginia where our group of scholars began our educational journey down the Potomac River. Our group waded in the confluence and walked through the Lock, observing nature without disrupting it. From then on, our journey had an overarching theme to prioritize the existence of the river in a natural and untouched state. I had always been told that waterways are a legacy people leave behind, an idea that found new meaning during our excursion down the Potomac. Preserving water systems such as the Potomac River Watershed creates a legacy for the future. On our trip we learned various ways to rebuild waterways like the Potomac River to their former glory.

I did not have high hope for the Potomac waterways surrounding Washington D.C. I had heard stories about the many ways waterways that flow through cities are polluted. I expected the water to resemble a sewer more than a river. After experiencing and studying the Potomac first hand I now know the waters around Washington D.C. are not as bad as I thought but they are still not even close to their natural state. Our group took a sample of water freshly processed by the Blue Plains waste water treatment plant. It helped me understand the best condition water should be for the ecosystem by measuring Nitrates, Dissolved Oxygen levels and the water’s pH. It turns out that the Blue Plains treatment plant does an excellent job processing waste water because most of our measurements provided positive results. Blue Plains sets the bar for waste treatment, not only by thoroughly processing waste water but also through other innovations such as capturing the methane from the waste and using it to provide energy for the plant.  The waters were in good shape considering the heavy downpour of rain from the previous night had most likely washed pollutants from the city straight into the water, we even saw two bald eagles perched on a dead tree scanning the waters for fish to hunt. Our fishing attempt told a different story because after running a trowel through the water the captain labeled it as the worst catch of the year. The captain also told us about the poor condition of the crab population. Crabbing regulations allowed Virginia crabber to catch and sell pregnant female crabs which meant invading and destroying crab spawning grounds. Crab is one of my favorite foods and I expect to eat them for a very long time so it is disheartening for me to hear that crabs are decreasing in population.

The sail boat crew of our second day trip stated that “We love people who eat oysters.” Coming from people who have dedicated their time to restore the water ways to their former glory, this was a strange. The crew love people who eat the mollusk they were trying to protect and repopulate. I now understand that they were making the point that the people who are most likely to care about the waterways are those who are most connected to them.