A tale of two rivers

Fantastic is a word that isn’t grand enough to describe the experience of this Fall Break Trip. From a rainy day’s exploration of Harper’s Ferry to a warm day’s adventures at sea, I feel as if I’ve learned and grown beyond what I expected out of this trip.

When I first decided to join Earth Lodge it was because I wanted to experience what such a diverse group of people could come up with around such a like minded idea. For the first few weeks (while they were very informative and allowed us to grow to know each other) I felt as if we were just going though the motions of another class, barely bothering to get to know one another. This trip changed that. From the first drive (3 hours in a van with 6 other people) we began to talk and hold deeper conversations about topics which could insight anger or dissent (politics, anyone?) but we also grew to find out a bit more about each other. From that point forward I made it my personal goal to be open and honest with everyone the whole trip as well as try and bond with everyone and I couldn’t be happier with the results. I feel as if we are a closer family of lodgers (And yes, I do include the 3 who, unfortunately, couldn’t make the trip as part of our family!).

But the more important, or should I say significant, bit of our adventures on the Potomac was the knowledge gained by first hand experience. While I found myself in many a moment where I was muttering answers under my breath or I felt as if we were getting the same information for a second (or third) time, there are still some moments which stick out to me in particular. For one, seeing the chemical values first hand after extracting them from the very water we were sailing above was a shocking and effective way to put everything in perspective. Being able to draw parallels with the James was also extremely helpful as I could see how much more mature the research and projects were on the Potomac whereas, in many cases, the James is just starting to get the attention it deserves.

All in all, I think the trip was a brilliant success and has allowed for a gateway into deeper and more meaningful conversation where we (the lodgers) don’t have to feel as if we are contributing as much to a class discussion as a discussion with some of our closest friends. It is those very discussion that could bring about revelations in thought and practice that we have the amazing opportunity to initiate here on the James in hopes of making the RVA city, a better place for all who visit.,

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.