Always learning, always changing

“Scarlet oak?”
“It’s definitely not a white oak. Look at the bark.”
“Yeah, these leaves are definitely the same. And it’s the same as those other four.”

Sam and I casually discuss the type of trees we see on campus as we walk between classes. This can become a common scene the last few weeks as we, along with all our other classmates, eagerly try to learn the differences and similarities between native Virginia trees. We have definitely learned a lot about the James River watershed and local ecology already, but some ideas have really stuck for me.

As a freshman at UR last year, I thought I knew a little bit about the James River, gathering bits from upperclassmen who spent time on the river, occasionally reading about events on the river, and the short trip we took to Belle Isle as part of Roadmap to Success. I realize now that I really didn’t know much at all about the river and that the only way I’ve been able to really learn and begin to understand this powerful body of water is through hands-on, experiential learning.

Through the Geography of the James River Watershed class, I’ve had a handful of opportunities to engage with the river and its watershed, sometimes including a lesson from Dr. Lookingbill and other times completely by myself. The fusion of relevant readings and journals based on the river with visits to various sections of the James has provided a unique learning opportunity to understand what the literature describes beyond text on a page. When the “In River Time” chapters describe the rapids in the river or the canal that was built in Richmond, I understand the extent of impact that these things had on the river and the development of Richmond because I was able to see the rapids, canal, and other parts of the river first hand.

Geography of the James River students along the river near the Wetlands

Some of the concepts of geography that we first learned about are space and scale. Understanding the history and geography of a place requires these viewpoints to envision a historic event or physical feature. Standing along the canal walk in downtown Richmond, I could imagine the large cargo ships that were pulled along the water. I could picture early explorers fighting the rapids in dugout canoes or small boats where the city of Richmond now stands. And I can understand that the Fall Line served as a geographic boundary between two prominent Native American tribes: the Powhatans and Monacans. This extra level of understanding beyond text would not be possible from spending all of our class time inside the physical classroom.

Reflecting back on the topics we’ve covered in class and the articles we’ve read, one concept that has really resonated with me is the Awareness-Appraisal Model. This concept arose from a study based on the James River and nearby Upham Brook watersheds that compared the awareness an individual has for their own watershed and the likeliness of that individual to be willing to protect or restore their watershed.

I feel like I’m proof of this concept because I have taken so much more ownership of the river in just the last month or so. I haven’t even visited half of the access points along the river, but I already want to protect it because I know a lot about the river. I even feel compelled to share my love for the river with others: this past weekend I took my father and pet rabbit on a bike ride down to Pony Pasture rapids to show them the beautiful spot along the James. While we were there, I told my dad a little bit about where we were and what I’ve learned about the river so far this semester. We talked to some locals and a few people who were just visiting a friend in town. One girl explained that her friend lives nearby and “had to show us this spot!”. I feel like this kind of appreciation for a water body only comes from awareness and knowledge of the area.

My pet rabbit, Oliver, contemplating the James River

Between spending time in Richmond this past summer and these past few weeks of class, I consider myself a citizen of Richmond now. I feel like it’s become my home as I become more involved on campus and in the city. I can point a classmate in the direction of Belle Isle, name some of the major areas of the James River Park System, and tell someone how many miles it is to bike to Pony Pasture from campus (about 4 each way, a little hilly but mostly scenic, in case you were wondering). As part of my role as a resident of Richmond, I feel like its my job to share the pride I have for the city and spread awareness of the James river, both its state of health and the limitless recreational uses of it.

I look forward to the many lessons I can learn about the river and the watershed in general. I also look forward to applying some of the general ecology concepts we have learned to other watersheds, namely the Potomac River watershed. Some concepts are universal when applied to rivers, like the fact that once a waterbody is depleted, for most intensive purposes, it’s depleted for good. This can be applied to lowering water tables in Virginia as well as far away in Africa (an article about the Omo River watershed relating to a speaker who working first hand to protect her local water body). The concepts of riparian zones and the drawbacks of dams apply to all rivers. But a more personal concept is the idea that, in the words of Dr. Lookingbill, water bodies can bring you back in touch with nature and recenter you, no matter what river it is.

I understand now that though I may know more about the river than the average Richmond citizen, there is still so much more to learn about the James River: its long, deep history; the experiences one can have with it; and the resources we can gather from it. And I believe that by taking pride in this feature of my home and consistently engaging with it, I can always learn more and continue to protect it.