Splash ‘n’ Dash ‘n’ Laze

I had never spent much time off campus until Earth Lodge took me on field trips and volunteer outings on the James. This past weekend I spent most of my Sunday as a course marshall at the annual Splash ‘n’ Dash 5k on Belle Isle. I was stationed at a sharp intersection, tasked with ensuring over-eager runners didn’t blaze straight down the trail. My spot came complete with a log perfect for sitting on, and I spent good chunks of time enjoying the quiet of the woods in between groups of runners. It amazed me that such a seemingly secluded spot could exist in the middle of a city like Richmond. As I watched the runners zoom past, the thing that struck me the most was the variety of people in the race. From families to full-on athletes, it seemed the most of the city was being represented. This was only confirmed as I later walked around the island to collect tape and observed activities from free-climbing to painting. Belle Isle seems to have something for everyone.

After the race, a small festival was set up with bluegrass musicians and a stand of food trucks. The atmosphere seemed to embody the ideal sunny afternoon, and the smell of crepes wafted over everything. I know that a weekend like this is hardly the norm, but the fact that events like this exist to bring together so many different people from around the city tells me the James River Park system is not just about bringing people to the river, but about bringing people together at the river. As corny as it sounds, the James plays an important cultural role as the center of our city, and does a fantastic job of bringing the city together for fun, whether it’s running, eating, or swimming.

One Response to Splash ‘n’ Dash ‘n’ Laze

1. TRL says:

Glad you made it to the Spash and Dash. What a great event! I agree that it embodies the best of Richmond it many ways. I do not find it corny at all to say the River plays an important cultural role as the center of our city. Isn’t that consistent with what we have been learning about rivers? Keep looking for opportunities to “connect” your observation log with a broader community of thoughts and ideas through hyperlinks, etc. I also would love to see photos, maps and images that support your arguments and ideas embedded where appropriate.

Why do you think an organization like JRA would sponsor an event like the Splash and Dash?