To Go Out and Be

Just next to William Byrd Park lies the Maymont gardens.  In a place as busy at Byrd, which just this weekend held a JDRF Walk to Cure Type 1 Diabetes, I found it astounding how few people had ever truly explored Maymont.  My own expectations were of its mere “anti-chamber” and I had no idea of the naturalistic beauty that resided behind it.

Walking around its 100 acres of gardens, paths, and fountains, one can truly forget about what is going on outside its perimeter.  Its proximity to “society” seems exponentially larger as one climbs trees, inspects ponds, and strains for the sight of its wildlife inhabitants.  Even my experience on a Sunday afternoon, with all the exhibits closed and just its pathways available for exploration, simply walking around gives off the sensation of truly being lost in nature.  The hours spent relieved my mind of my usual Sunday evening responsibilities of homework I neglected most of the weekend, and allowed me to revert back to an almost childlike state of mind.  I climbed trees, I rolled down hills, I hopped along the stepping stones of the pond, and I got as close as I could to its small waterfall as I could without falling. My mind could release all the stresses of my upcoming week because, at that moment, all I had to do was be.

I feel in today’s world people often forget to be.  Most people rush from appointment to appointment, doing this and that and finishing one task early so they may start another ahead of schedule.  All of the rushing around with the ultimate goal of returning home, going to bed, and repeating the cycle the next morning.  Now, I’m not saying people shouldn’t be productive, but it can be one of the healthiest and best experiences to just go out and be.  To soak in the moment and appreciate everything around you.  Hear the wind rustle through the trees, feel the grass beneath your feet, watch as two dragonflies dance over water.  Often times, just being gives people a break, just long enough, from their normal, hectic schedule, to allow them to go back at it with fresh heart.

One Response to To Go Out and Be

1. TRL says:

This “recentering” is critical and too often overlooked in all our lives. Keep looking for opportunities to “connect” your observation log with a broader community of thoughts and ideas through hyperlinks, references to class discussions and readings, etc. I also would love to see photos, maps and images that support your arguments and ideas embedded where appropriate.