Reflection

Starring out onto the water, I saw ducks, fish,turtles and a handful of geese. I took a moment to think of life through their eyes. Have you ever wondered what they think of us? Do they know we created the lake that is their home? Are they bothered by the pier or the gazebo or the noises we create through living around the lake? After thinking about life from their perspective, I had a whole new view of the lake. I looked around and it was hard to find something that was not built by man. I saw benches, the bridges, the pathways, the parking lots, the cars, the trash cans and so much more.  These thoughts led me to realize how the nature around the lake truly is incredible.

The trees around the lake are able to work together even though so many of their relatives were chopped down and destroyed in the process of creating our school.  They have created a system together that acts as a buffer between impervious surfaces and the lake. They are able to filter out some of the nutrients and sediment before they hit the water. Grasses around the lake especially near the road are crucial to the ecosystem as well. They add to the diversity of the system and have created an environment for other organisms to live in. This system has created itself around a body of water that was a product of humans.

Humans have always been linked to the environment. We have molded a creation that is both incredible and horrifying all at the same time. We altered the natural flow of the little creek. Next time you walk by the lake, think about what it might have looked like 100s of years ago. What do you think the vegetation and animal life in the area looked like? This question was on my mind the entire time I starred at the lake.