Snowmelt

I can’t recall a time when I was as excited about seeing snow melt as I was this morning. I instantly thought of our last Geography of the James River Watershed lecture and thought about the snowmelt runoff feeding the hydrologic cycle.

The equation we studied that related amount of storage to the difference between precipitation and evapotranspiration and surface runoff leaped to mind, and my inner nerd started to consider how the solid state of snow affects the equation (based on my musings, I’d guess that it would increase the amount of storage, as snow takes longer to return to its liquid and then gaseous state than rain). Yet, like my initial impression of the Gambles Mill Corridor, as I traced the feeble stream of snow melt to the curb along the impermeable road, I was reminded that our modern world is not so easily defined by such equations and my glee turned to reflection.

As I look back on my first post of the semester about my “discovery” of the Gambles Mill Trail, I can distinctly remember how amazing it was to feel like I had found a secret way out of campus through nature, and how humbling it was to see the effect of human influence on the space. Discussing boundaries and water ownership in class made me consider how the University (the Corridor owner) and the golf course (the trail neighbor), reconciled their joint responsibility for maintaining the corridor. As we observed on our second field trip to the Corridor, beyond the golf course’s water pipes which redirect their excess water to the creek underneath the trail, the space is left alone (excluding the minor garden area and seismograph which are maintained for University purposes). Perhaps due to the lack of campus awareness or University funding, the trail has remained untouched for several years, leading to the excessive growth of invasive species such as poison ivy, and the accumulation of dead trees and leaves on the trail floor atop tall, brown grass. Champ Berkley taught our class in a guest lecture that all trails, with his innovative paving, could act as filtering mechanisms for runoff water before it reaches local streams and rivers. Like the work of the “Save the Bay Foundation,” and several other national organizations dedicated to cleaning our watersheds, if awareness is raised on campus and students become passionate about reviving the abandoned Corridor, the actions of Mr. Berkley will be supported not only now but throughout the University’s growth. Despite the Gambles Mill Corridor’s current state, the recent attention given it by campus communities such as Earth Lodge and various Geography classes is a promising indication that it will soon become both a popular way off campus and a model for water filtration.

Just as my perception of the Gambles Mill Corridor changed as I reflected on my impressions, and became educated on its potential, so too did my understanding of Earth Lodge’s community-based learning. When I was waking up and driving to the Farmlett, I felt as if my work for the day would be without purpose, as anyone (or anything) could simply destroy my labor within a few seconds. This outlook, though admittedly dismal, was instilled in me during a similar high school community service project during which a community member questioned why we bothered to work at all. Mike and I were reminded of this outlook when Farmlett employee Matthew told us to organize the windows according to size so that when they were broken, he could easily find a replacement. Though this perspective, if taken to the extreme, can lead to inaction as a commenter added to Mike’s post, it is helpful to keep this in mind so that the service chosen is the both the most beneficial as well as the most practical. As Mike and I continued to work and we saw our 70-odd windows dismantled and categorized within just 3 hours, I was proud that we completed a task that would eventually help others. Though the fruits of our labor were not as immediate as the Earth Lodgers who chose to build or weed, the knowledge that Mike and I saved Matthew a full day’s worth of work and that he would be able to make his greenhouse more efficiently because of us truly resonated with me. Even if I am not able to commit to regularly serving the William Byrd Farm, being able to work and meet people like Matthew inspired me to continue to serve others in the best way I can. Hans expressed a similar admiration in his post saying,

At first I was very confused with his decision, going into farming with a college education. I thought to myself, there is no way I will allow myself to live on a low pay, farming job when I graduate college. Then he explained that he was brought up in a farm and told us his passion for nature. After that I started to admire him, he has the ability to get all the money, political power, or whatever he wants in the world; however he told us that he was not brought up that way, and although some of those are nice to have, only pursuing your passion can truly bring you happiness.

The Earth Lodge service that day not only brought us happiness and brought the surrounding community a small step closer to completing preparations for the planting season, but it also exposed us to remarkable individuals who have chosen to fully incorporate this miraculous work into their lives.

As we encounter daily challenges balancing our human needs and desires with the care and protection of our natural resources, I am reminded of the delicacy with which we must treat the environment and, more importantly, each other. Both the Gambles Mill Corridor and William Byrd Farmlett are spaces in which nature is providing for us, and we must behave in accordance with these blessings. Life is not easily defined by an equation, rules, or boundaries so as stewards of the earth we must learn to respect all people and places with our actions.

This entry was posted in Synthesis. Bookmark the permalink.