Uncategorized

Introduction-Charlotte Bednarski

Hello, my name is Charlotte Bednarski and I’m a rising senior at UR majoring in International Studies and French. I’m originally from just outside of Detroit, Michigan. I’m so excited and grateful to be on this trip with wonderful peers and faculty. I applied for this EnCompass program because I’m fascinated by all cultures around the world. Culture is what connects people. It determines how we interact, process experiences, eat, pray, and speak. Culture shapes our day to day lives on the micro level, and nation-building and nationalism on the marco level. Understanding culture is like understanding a new language. By pursuing cultural understanding and knowledge, the world around you becomes more vibrant. I was lucky enough to study abroad in Senegal last semester, where I learned about how to understand, appreciate, and immerse myself in a new culture. Eating around a shared bowl with my host family each night, I learned how this eating practice emphasized the value of sharing. I observed how the values of sharing and giving translated to how many Senegalese people treat their guests. By opening myself to cultural experiences, I began to understand the nuances and complexities of life in a new place.

In Thailand and Cambodia, I aim to continue this experiential learning by seeking to understand before making conclusions about what I observe while traveling. After less than a week, I have so much to research and process. What role does the value of discipline play in shaping Thai parenting and schooling? How do non-Buddhist Thais navigate life in a predominantly Buddhist society? How do religion and politics intertwine, and how does this impact the stability and institutionalization of Thai political systems? I imagine that this list of questions will only grow as the trip progresses, and I look forward to researching these inquiries in an attempt to learn about this fascinating part of the world.