Uncategorized

Introduction — Chance Evans

A mixture of language on Sukhumvit Road.

สวัสดี ครับ (Sawasdee krap)!

My name is Chance Evans, I am a rising senior political science major at the University of Richmond, and this EnCompass trip is my first travel abroad experience. In fact, I have never left the East Coast of the United States in my life. I have always been drawn toward international travel because of my life-long fascination with other cultures and places. However, until this EnCompass opportunity arose, my only opportunity for exposure to international travel was either virtually through National Geographic magazine, the internet, and classes or vicariously through friends who have been able to travel abroad. Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I found out I would be a participant in this program. I never thought I would be able to have an experience like this while in college and it certainly did not seem real until I put my feet on the ground in Thailand.

The first few days here have come rather naturally to me even though I have never been outside of the United States. While Thailand is on the complete opposite side of the world from the place I have known my entire life, I find myself rather comfortable in this oddly familiar place. Perhaps this is because of how accessible this destination is for English speakers. English often accompanies Thai along with Mandarin on storefronts, labels, and menus. Nearly every Thai person I have had contact with so far has spoken English. I think what has struck me most so far has not been how different this environment is, which it is, but just how genuinely familiar people are despite differences in culture, experience, and circumstance.

I have a strong interest in international law and how it relates to human rights issues that arise from interconnected global business models. On this trip, I hope to explore these connections and the reality of the issues on the ground in areas where human rights have been neglected for many people. I find the issue of human trafficking and the role of nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) in dealing with that issue particularly important. I am eager to accumulate experiences and understandings during travel in Southeast Asia that I will be able to build upon academically and professionally.