Uncategorized

First Impressions of Thailand

Thailand is an amazing country full of rich history and culture.  The people of Thailand hold fast to traditions and are very hospitable to visitors.  I feel very comfortable here, and even though there is a slight language barrier, I do not feel like an outsider.  We payed a visit to Wat Arun a couple of  days ago, and I still cannot get over the beautiful architecture! I learned that the buildings were made with tiny pieces of porcelain brought over from China.  I am still in awe.

I also have learned that Thailand and its surrounding countries are dealing with serious human trafficking issues.  Many people, women, children, and men are forced into labor.  The biggest percentage is sex trafficking.  Girls are taken from their families deceptively and used as sex slaves.  But there are some people that are taking the steps necessary to try and prevent that.  One is Mr. Hartanto who has opened up a school (located within Wat Arun) for girls that are at-risk for human trafficking.  He takes them in, 50 at a time, feeds, clothes, and educates them.  At the end of their program they take a nursing exam, in which case he has a 97% success rate! The girls have a respected career and a new life, one they would not have had living in their villages.  When I asked him what the key to his success was, he said “discipline”, and he credits that discipline to meditation, and the benefits that stem from it.  I am encouraged by his practice, and am going to apply some of the principles I have learned from him into my life, and in my own classroom. 🙂