Blog Post for 3/30

To be honest, I was getting pretty frustrated with Millennium Village Simulator and only seemed to get worse. At first I thought I was getting the hang of keeping both Fatou and Kodjo healthy and fully satisfied, while still bringing in enough money for the family and the village. But as soon as other factors like a bad crop yield or an illness came into play each round/attempt, I seemed to continue to lose more and more control. It only goes to show that simulations are only that and as humans it is very difficult to predict/plan anything simply due to the presence of random/unpredictable factors. After reading Dorner and playing with the Simulator, I had myself question decisions that I had made – both looking at the short-term and long-term implications. It is very easy to get sucked into small factors/details and then almost entirely lose sight of the bigger, overall picture. Having to decide between feeding both people or sending one to the doctor is a decision that you don’t really want to make and it very easy to potentially let emotions/personal feelings get in the way of one’s better judgement.

I felt very isolated from the situation in the game as this is obviously not my day to day life. But as stated on the initial page of the simulation before starting the simulation’s creators “hope that, by immersing themselves in the daily life of a family, students will identify more deeply with the local experience of extreme poverty”. It certainly made me think about how fortunate I am that I do not have to fear that one poor harvest could potentially result in my family’s poor health, but this is the situation for many people around the world from the shortages of basic necessities to inadequate healthcare. I really had no idea how to keep these people alive and balance these many needs, and the fact that people at all and especially children younger than me is a scary thought.

3 thoughts on “Blog Post for 3/30

1. Christopher Wilson

Extreme poverty for those of us who live in the top 1% of the global income distribution will indeed be unfathomable to imagine. Even as our leaders debate how to help those in extreme poverty, your experience with the simulator has shown both you and me that not all aid works to benefit generations of communities, which I feel is often forgotten by government officials.

2. Jennifer Schlur

I too felt like i continued to lose more and more control after a few rounds. It almost felt like when Kodjo and Fatou died it was an inevitable outcome. In my simulation their health had been on the decline and they had not been receiving enough nourishment, numerous trips to the doctor would only help a little each time and delayed the inevitable.

3. Michael Childress

I really liked the way you talked about having to balance long term and short term interests. This also reminds me about how poverty traps become so difficult. People really need to think long term in order to be successful, but as you mentioned, you cant do this when you struggle to meet your day to day, short term needs