Blog Post 6: Systemic Issues and the MVS

In “The Logic of Failure” Dorner discusses the cognitive methods in which we make decisions, both good and bad. He uses information from an experiment done where a handful of participants were asked to play a game. In the game, participants had dictatorial leadership over a region called Tanaland. Their objective was to make decisions about farming, water irrigation, livestock and much more to ensure the survival of the people in the area. It seemed like a simple task, but the biggest takeaway from his analyzation is that it was anything but.

This is how it felt to play the Millennium Village Simulation. I’m a HUGE fan of Sims, Tropico and other popular life simulation games, but this one was by far the hardest. I tried the demo, and both of my characters died from the flu in a whopping two seasons. After a few more attempts, I realized that many of the decisions I was (and was not) making were similar to concepts present in Dorner’s analyzation of the Tanaland experiment. One of the “good” things that I was doing is that I consistently made a decent amount of decisions each round. There was never a round where I didn’t change at least half of my village’s parameters so I could try out different scenarios. One of the “bad” things, however, is that I tend to jump around from one objective to the next as it comes to me. This generally results in me forgetting the task I originally set out to do.

One thought on “Blog Post 6: Systemic Issues and the MVS

1. Josephine Holland

I think your response to the game if pretty interesting. I found it very difficult to make lots of decisions, and I found that I tended to balance everything for as long as possible, which lead to a fairly fine first few seasons, but later on was a problem. I’ve never played any life simulation games, and I’m curious about the similarities. I thought the ability to switch between the individual family and the wider community iwas also an interesting touch, and I’m wondering if the life simulation games typically orient around a community, or individuals?