Blog Post 03.30.2021

Both the reading and podcast caused me to view current systemic issues in our world differently. I had never fully confronted the notion that even our society’s “experts,” such as government officials, educators, and the like, are prone to not making the best decisions to improve society’s overall welfare in the long run. Nonetheless, I believe that we- younger generations- have been conditioned to solve problems that might arise in the short-term than the long-term. For instance, in college, some students solve the problem of not feeling overwhelmed by their many assignments by consuming caffeine or other stimulants and staying up for hours on end without proper rest. In fact, this type of behavior is rewarded and lauded by other students as it is evidence of one’s ambition, grit, and determination. While the short-term benefits of this action would result in a major dopamine and serotonin boost for the individual, they do not always realize how staying up late cost them the longevity they needed to not feel “burnt out” so early on in a semester or cost them the opportunities they could have had to connect with others. This is not even to mention the consequences this would have on an individual’s mental health or the root causes of the issue at hand, which principally centers on how America’s higher education system does not normalize putting oneself well-being over academic and professional accolades. I know now that the aforementioned system is only part of a much larger socio-cultural system that needs serious re-evaluation: America’s toxic workaholic culture.

I say all this to say that I agree with Dr. Bezio and Dorner that we need to adopt a more holistic approach to solving systemic issues. Ideally, I feel that we all would need to take a second to reflect and analyze what things have worked for our society in the past and why before we start asking ourselves how we can build a better future. On top of this, I feel that it’s equally important to involve multiple stakeholders who are excluded from the Western world’s definition of expertise- being a skilled worker who holds prestigious degrees and has accolades attributed to one’s name. As most of us should know by now, diversity, equity, and inclusivity have positive consequences for our global society in both the short and long-term as people’s intersectional identities are the key to unraveling our world’s most complex problems that affect complex populations.

3 thoughts on “Blog Post 03.30.2021

1. Madyson Fitzgerald

I think that you bring up a really interesting point because a lot of us are conditioned to believe that experts know what’s best for us. However, there can be no real “expert” if whatever we’re looking at has endless variables.

2. Michael Childress

you did an awesome job of discussing the workaholic culture in American and really analyzing it. I think it is especially evident here at Richmond, and as you mentioned, we need to evaluate our systems but also our individual, day to day actions and process so we avoid that type of burnout

3. Josephine Holland

I think you bring up a really interesting point here. I think it is important to pay attention to what circumstances allow us to plan long term, and what force us to start making quick, short-term, reactive decisions. This also made me think of the instant gratification experiment where scientists gave kids a marshmallow, and say they could have second if they waited to eat it until later. The original version of the study looked at age of development for when children are able to think for long-term payout, but subsequent versions/revistations of the experiment found that the social factors around the kids actually had a more significant effect on their behavior (social factors being their class status, if they had reliable food access at home, and if they were used to caring for younger siblings). In homework situations, I definitely think we need to take a step back and look at the big picture, but I wonder about situations where this is simply not possible.