Podcast Episode 2: Culture and Implicit Bias- 3/8

This morning in my Organizational Behavior class, we talked to Mel Smith, who is the director of diversity and inclusion at Genworth, a local fortune 500 company. He discussed, like Dr. Bezio in the second podcast, that everyone has biases, but that it is important to recognize them. Dr. Bezio also discusses how we must think past the stereotypes we have for everyone because people are so much more than their stereotypes. I am Irish, and like Dr. Bezio who fits a lot of her German stereotypes, my family and I fit a lot of Irish stereotypes as well. But I know I am a lot more than that and it is important to recognize that others are as well.

Another part of the podcast I took a lot away from was when Dr. Bezio discussed representation in film. As a blonde-haired, blue-eyed white person, both Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, two of the most famous Disney princesses looked exactly like me. I could even identify with Snow White and the Little Mermaid. I was never aware that friends of mine did not have those figures growing up. Now that I am older, I recognize the importance of creating a world where everyone can see themselves in every role model and appreciate the strides many major companies have gone to in order to create more representation on television. I still remember when Cheerios aired a commercial that included a couple that was mixed race, and hearing news outlets say what a big deal that was. Today, many commercials on television include people of all different backgrounds, which shows great progress. However, I know there is still much more to make.

One thought on “Podcast Episode 2: Culture and Implicit Bias- 3/8

1. Kate Lavan

The Disney Princesses are a really good example of the lack of diversity in American culture. I thought it was interesting that, as Dr. Bezio pointed out, Disney’s attempts to diversify (Pocahantos, Princess and the frog, Moana, etc) are still loaded with stereotypes. It’s kind of like 2 steps forward 1 step back.