extra credit – building names

A lot of buildings on this campus have controversial names. I mean, the campus was built over the graves of enslaved persons and a plantation site. A lot of donors and people of power who have been here and who are still here in spirit on the names of buildings were not the greatest of people. And, in my opinion, the only way that we can remember this history of ours is to face it everyday and learn from it. That being said, I agree with what Kendall and Tess said in class, that yes, leaving the names does still allow their presence to be felt and makes me and others uncomfortable, but taking their names off the buildings can allow people to forget what happened. And no one should forget how this campus came to be how it is today.

I think a solution to this issue would to be what was done with Mitchell-Freeman Hall, attaching another name, such as one of the slaves owned by the person, to the current one to allow people to remember the history and also attach a more positive vibe to it.