Blog 3/10 Ethics – Flanigan

I started off reading Flanigan’s article with skepticism. I could not imagine how she would justify the right to self-medication when in the face of the risks associated with inappropriate usage, the lack of information on appropriate usage, and the case of addiction. By the end of her article, however, I was thoroughly convinced, especially with her caveat of ‘behind the counter’ distribution. She laid out her argument exceedingly well and addressed nearly every point I came up with to counter her initial statement. 

Despite this, I was not satisfied by her point addressing addiction. It is not enough to merely allow addicts to enter a voluntary prohibition program. In the event of restructuring the prescription drug system to protect the right to self-medication, there need to be open, easily accessible, and free or affordable addiction recovery services and rehabilitation centers that are promoted within the pharmaceutical centers. I am also concerned about the ability of patients to give informed consent to drugs that we simply do not have a complete understanding of the effects and risks. Additionally, I am concerned about the persuasive power/propaganda of advertisements by drug companies who attempt to sell drugs to people who may not need them, and in doing so, the patient may request unnecessary medication or ignore more useful medication in favor of the advertised drug (you have the right to be informed on the possible risks and benefits of the drug you are requesting, but there is no requirement that anyone has to inform you on other potential medication or methods that might work better/have fewer risks). Lastly, I am concerned about the supply and demand aspect – that with an increased supply of prescription drugs, people who don’t ‘need’ the medication will have an easier time accessing it than people who do medically need it. This could change would also affect insurance and how we pay for medicine, possibly for the better, but not necessarily. 

Overall, I was convinced by her argument, had difficulty finding fault with her premises, and found that most inferences were reasonable. Despite my reservations, the argument is rational, and I was surprised by the extent to which she convinced me when I gave her argument a chance.

One thought on “Blog 3/10 Ethics – Flanigan

1. Sophia Hartman

I had concerns about the same things regarding informed consent and addressing addiction, but what you said at the end about the argument being reasonable and rational, it reminded me to consider something brought up in the article we read on effective altruism about emotions influencing what charities we support and donate to. I wonder if maybe I was reading the article through an emotional lens, and if I were to read it again if I might focus more on the structure of the argument as a whole, rather than focus on just one point.