Can you feel it? Can you feel the Earth Lodge Love? ♫

Before I begin describing any of the amazing experiences I have had or the abundance of knowledge I have gained from being part of the Earth Lodge, I must say it has both exceeded my expectations and turned out to be very different from my expectations.

About this time last year, Garrett, Sam, and I began talking about how much we wanted to be in Earth Lodge after reading about it online, going to an information fair, and hearing stories from past lodgers. We hoped we would all be accepted and talked about who else we thought would be part of the program. A large part of the adventure of Earth Lodge has been getting to know people I never would have spoken more than a few words to and even a few people who I may never have even seen on campus. These people have become some of my closest comrades these past few months because we share a special bond in having some sort of passion for the environment.

What a bunch of goons

I am not sure what my expectations for class were for this semester, but I can definitely say I have learned a LOT. While I thought I knew a lot about environmental science before the class, I should have known that there is always something new to learn. And there is definitely always a new watershed to study. I had no idea the James River watershed encompassed so much nor did I expect there to be so much history and modern cultural ties to the river. There are books written about just the river! Books – that’s plural! And we have read at least one of these books along with many articles, magazines, news stories, case studies, and reports. Throughout all of these readings, I have gained more insight into the health, history, and culture of the James River. I never expected there to be a “culture” of the James River where people spend so much time on the river, work with the government to protect, and pass on stories of the river.

One of the coolest field trips we took was meeting Ralph White, a key player in preserving this river culture. Ralph is a local legend and has worked for over thirty years to shape the river’s park system into what it is. He is an example of the fact that it is undoubtedly the passion of the locals that drives the protection of an area like the James River because they are the ones who use it the most and use it all year round. I feel like all the Earth Lodge members have become part of this group of dedicated river lovers who work to maintain the river, and I am definitely included in that.

Earth Lodge getting weird during Fall Break

Another one of my favorite topics we have covered in the Geography of the James River Watershed class, trailing right behind tree identification, is how much potential the river has to create more connectedness and improve the water quality. There are many plans in place to improve trails, access points, and awareness of the river that could push the James to a whole new level in terms of being a part of the Fall Line city. It is exciting to read about how much we can do as local citizens and how much the city has planned for the James’ future. As a Richmond citizen, I cannot wait to see Richmond and the interaction with the James grow.

By far my favorite part of being part of the Earth Lodge community is that it is just that: a community. I have gotten to know my classmates more through late night studying in the lounge, bonding during the Fall Break trip, and singing together during Tuesday Tea times than at any other point in the class. It is true that those who struggle together, stay together. While we have “struggled” together in terms of studying together and being supportive during rough moments in the semester, we have all grown very close and formed a bond that will last at least for the rest of college, even if we do not all live together again. That bond itself has made the entire experience worthwhile.

Reflecting on the semester as it comes to a close, I could not have asked for better classmates or a better professor. While some Living-Learning Communities or SSIRs have great trips or dorms, we have by far had the best experiences (which makes up for the not-so-great dorm location). Our professor is definitely one of the most dedicated in terms of striving to help his students and being like another member in the community. And I am not just saying that for a better grade. All of my classmates and both my professor and TAs have contributed to this amazing experience. It is definitely a testament to the power of learning in an intimate, hands-on setting with a group of supportive, equally passionate individuals. And I am so glad that I still have another semester to spend with these people, even without a weekly class.

Can you feel the Earth Lodge Love?

This entry was posted in Synthesis. Bookmark the permalink.