Matt needs more research students!

One of the nice things about teaching is seeing my students graduate and go on to do cool things elsewhere.  Of course, it’s not so nice when my entire lab group graduates all at once, as happened this spring!  (Nate…Jill…Brian…David!  Please come back!)

Anyway, I just want to put the word out there that I’m very actively looking for some students to join me in fall of 2008 and beyond.  I have a handful of projects I’ll be involved in; some projects will entail using the cool and expensive atomic force microscope in our lab; others will involve more computer coding and analysis.  I’m especially interested in finding a strong first or second year student.  I’m imagining working for course credit initially,  but I also have some grant money that could support a student over the summer.

One project I’ve written about here recently involves writing software to correct for distortion in atomic force microscope images.  This is a neat project involving a real-life application of numerical computing and image analysis; the resulting software package will be shared with potentially hundreds of scientists and engineers using around the world who use scanning probe microscopes.  Requirements: must be comfortable programming in C/C++, and must know some calculus.  (Everything else is learn-as-you-go.) 

Please contact me if you or anybody you know might be interested!

mtrawick

Matt Trawick holds a B.A. from Oberlin College and a Ph.D. from Ohio State University. He was a postdoctoral fellow and later a lecturer at Princeton University before coming to the University of Richmond as an assistant professor in 2004. His research interests include block copolymers, nanotechnology, and atomic force microscopy.

3 thoughts on “Matt needs more research students!”

1. I’de be interested if you need a CS student, even if it is pre-freshman year. Dr. Lawson said you might need someone.

2. Thanks for this article, seems like you have found a solution 🙂 Needless to say that I will subscribe to your RSS feeds now. Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Manuela