Black Composers Matter : Dolores White

Dolores White
b. 1932

Dolores White

Dolores White was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1932. She earned her Bachelors in Music from Oberlin College and her Masters in Music from the Cleveland Institute of Music in Performance and Composition.

White held positions at several colleges, universities, and arts organizations, including Wooster College; Hartt School of Music; Cleveland Music School; Karamu House; and the Metropolitan Campus of Cuyahoga Community College, where she served as assistant professor of music. Since her retirement from teaching in 2000, White has continued to compose vocal and instrumental works.

Centered in American and European classical elements, White fashions music that reaches into the rich resources of American traditions while also drawing on ethnic and international materials.

In addition to composing, White has conducted numerous workshops and lectures on such topics as women in music, Afro-Cuban music and dance, and African American arts.

“As a composer I try to create works of quality and excellence. Works that are the result of high intentions, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution. The works represent the wise choices from many alternatives. I like to explore combinations of sounds using different textures and timbres. I take risks, I dream big and I use humor in my works in different ways which help to keep my optimistic views.” – quote from Dolores White on her website doloreswhite.com

If you’d like to learn more about her, here are some works by White from the Music Library’s collection:

* The New American Scene: 5 Distinguished African American Composers (CD)

* Dark Fire: 20th Century Music for Piano (CD)

* Blues Dialogues: Music by Black Composers (CD)

* The HistoryMakers Video Oral History With Dolores White (Streaming video)

Here is a Youtube clip featuring a couple of Dolores White’s art songs:

Black Composers Matter