Tess Keating 11/30

In the movie Dear White People we saw a representation of a predominantly white University where the black community was struggling with instances of racism and exclusion. I think that this movie would be great for all college students to watch because it really opened my eyes to how one’s actions can make someone feel. The example that the movie gave of how it is actually offensive to be fascinated by black peoples hair. This is something I never really thought about, but it makes sense that it would make someone uncomfortable to be treated like they are so different, and as the movie stated like a “human zoo.” I think the most important thing for everyone is just awareness and education. It is sad, but a lot of times people offend people of color without exactly realizing. 

Being a college student I think that the best thing that we can do to make everyone feel welcomed is to keep the conversation open and help each other learn and be open. Movies like this are a great way to do that. 

One Comment

1. Sara Moushegian Sara Moushegian

I agree that this movie is one that should be watched by all college students. College is a time where people are exposed to new environments where they might be exposed to different demographics that they weren’t around during their younger years in their hometowns. It is important to understand how what we say and our actions impact different minorities. Awareness is so crucial and cannot come without education, and forms of media such as this movie are a step into the issue of ignorance.