Blog Post 10/30

Dear White People is a film focusing on the racial tensions between black and white people. The film is located in a fictional world on the campus of Winchester University. The main character Samantha White is an African American woman, who had just been excepted into Winchester, a predominantly white college. The movie portrays Sam’s experience and difficulties of being a black woman as she tries to find herself in her new environment while being confronted by stereotypes and racial tension.

I found this film to be very relevant to today’s society. Racism is a term that is often thrown around and its meaning can be often be lost especially by the people who are not experiencing it. This film helps with understanding what is considered right and wrong. There are instances when a white person thinks they are doing something harmless while in reality a black person finds it offensive toward them. I think it is always important to surround myself with movies and media such as this that take me out of my comfort zone. In order to truly understand what someone else is experiencing, I need to be able to humble myself and educate myself on the world around me.

1. Kathrine Yeaw Kathrine Yeaw

I agree that surrounding ourselves with films and media that may make us uncomfortable is important. Like we have talked about in class, media can both encourage a stereotype and help crush it, but we need to surround ourselves with many different perspectives to get away from that stereotype. This film was one that brought to light just how racist parts of society can still be, especially universities.

2. Elina Bhagwat Elina Bhagwat

I also liked how the film made distinctions between how different things can be perceived as racist to a person of color but white people may not realize the impact of their words. I also think it is very eye-opening to be made aware of the struggles that black people, especially adolescents, face when finding their identity among a society of pressures and stereotypes.