Julia Leonardi // 09.28.2020

As someone who didn’t grow up in the United States, I have always seen Abraham Lincoln as a hero. It is shocking to learn that he actually didn’t do much and that the Emancipation Proclamation wasn’t all that I thought it was. Lincoln was only using the proclamation as a form to appease the Northern businessmen while not changing the power distribution of the Southern landowners. Reading that was so shocking to me because I always saw him as a man of high morality and that stood for such a respectful cause.

While I sat there and watched the part one of the video, I began to reflect on the city that I live in and have come to know. When he was talking about Robert E Lee, I couldn’t help but think about all the monuments dedicated to him, schools named after him, and memorials in his honor. I began to research how those monuments came to be, and I came across the Daughters of the Confederacy. That was honestly disappointing and heartbreaking. These white women raised money to promote the confederacy all over the south just to be racist. The saddest part about it is that just now, this summer did these monuments even begin to get taken down. Monument Avenue has lost most of them, but the Lee one still stands. It is 2020 and people are still holding on to racist ideas and beliefs, and there is nothing sadder than that.

1. Alexander Dimedio Alexander Dimedio

I also find the truth behind Abraham Lincoln to be very interesting. Once again we can see how power and economics guides a person’s decision making. I think you did a great job connecting this topic to today. When I was driving through North Carolina I still saw confederate flags everywhere. We need change in the ideologies of everyone for this to work.

2. Henry Groves Henry Groves

I too thought Lincoln was a hero before reading this chapter. It really shocked me to read that he actually cared more about northern businessmen then changing the stance about slavery.