Concepts of Leadership Blogpost

As stated previously, only the histories of Great Men were written until recent history, which was mainly exaggerated or exemplary stories of kings, rich people, or unusually talented individuals. It was interesting to me to compare leadership stories and values of the modern-day to those of the past, especially those in Ancient Greece. The older stories of Agamemnon, a crucial fighter in the Trojan War, and Nestor, known for his foresight and intelligence, became long-lasting guides for their society’s leaders. Today, we still strive to follow the same leadership principles outlined by these stories, but we associate these values with people living today or in extremely modern history rather than passed down legends. I think this fascinating difference is a result of living in a fast-paced and connected world as well as in a society that values its possible future over its history.

One idea that particularly stood out to me in Concepts of Leadership was the extreme importance of myths to make subordinates. Although the author applied the idea that “the greater the socioeconomic injustice in the society, the more distorted the realities of leadership – its powers, morality and effectiveness” will be to mythology, I attempted to apply this to real life. The first example that came to me was North Kora, a country where they not only see their leaders as faultless but as untouchable gods. Instead of utilizing their position in their government to raise people from poverty (inflicted by their government and history), North Korea uses the facade of their myths to control, manipulate, maintain power. Although most/many governments utilize some form of myth/historical basis to preserve power, North Korea was the most striking example of this practice in combination with socio-economic injustice in real life that I could think of.

1. Kayla O'Connell Kayla O'Connell

I really liked your analysis on the communist form of government in North Korea. This form of government not only is extremely toxic for the individuals living in this country, but also serves as a model to the rest of the world. An unjust leader with unjust values can create an unhealthy way of living.

2. Delaney Demaret Delaney Demaret

I found the concept of the correlation between injustice and distortion of ideals to be extremely interesting as well. In the study of previous leadership, I think the mistake is often made when we blur effectiveness with morality. Looking back at leaders who have already come and gone in time, I’m attempting to be more critical of the societies they led and how that probably effected the distortion of their success.

3. Julia Leonardi Julia Leonardi

Great example. The real world comparisons really make it more relatable and easier to understand. I found that trying to apply what the text said to what I know about the world, to be a very effective way to comprehend the message.

4. Zariah Chiverton Zariah Chiverton

In your example of North Korea, I think it’s interesting that you view the people’s perspective of their leaders to be worship in a way. I see it as the people being too scared to follow anything but the orders they are given. Like Professor Bezio explains that historians never agree, I think this would be another instance because it’s hard to know the actual perspective of the people when everything is funneled through their leadership.