Event #1

Free the Facts

Free the Facts came to present to UR students on a rainy Tuesday, October 29th, to present a policy seminar on Social Security. I first learned about the Free the Facts presentation when a student ambassador came to WCGA to teach us about what the organization was, their goals, and to ask for our support. They shared that a goal of the presentation was to empower us, our generation, by educating us on the facts and complexity of the United States’ fiscal policy issues. Free the Facts is a nonpartisan organization trying to give students info we need to make informed decisions about the biggest issues facing our generations. They especially emphasized one of their slogans “getting America’s brightest minds on our biggest problems” as they especially focused on the “biggest problems with the biggest price tags. They spoke about the facts behind social security insolvency, the inability to pay one’s debts. While some of the information they shared was over my head, it was clear that this issue needs the attention of our and all generations and attending the presentation made me feel more informed and motivated me to do some personal Social Security research of my own. I was personally drawn to this talk because social security and how it works has never been very clear to me but I knew I wanted to understand it now, early on, both to make informed decisions about my own future AND IN THE POLLS. They mentioned that they also present on student loans, Medicare, and pensions… I would like to see them again.

Be First to Comment