The FUTURE of Leadership

Okay so honestly this post has been one of the most intriguing to me in a while. the discussion about how technology is affecting how we lead kinda caught me off guard, it makes sense though that corporations can effectively change how a person communicates and subsequently gets information to their followers. this as McFarland points out challenges us to change our viewpoint how leaders ought to lead as well not just how we lead. the idea that we need to forget that a leader, should have all the answers or that they are always right, kinda seems scary but, makes sense over all just relying on one person for all your information is scarier than the alternative.

These readings  give me hope as well, because it just reinforces that Humans can change, not just physically but mentally.  Our ability to adapt to the needs, especially in democracy, of the culture around it to reinforce it or change it completely. This is happening as well, the mindset that everyone is a leader and should bring out the best in people is flooding higher management causing a trickle down effect through the management in businesses.

1. Jocelyn Hernandez Jocelyn Hernandez

I agree with what you said about sharing leadership. In the old single leadership mindset it is scary to give leadership powers to others, but when looking deeper and analyzing what leadership is the sharing of power sounds less erroneous. Relying on one person to lead just gives in to dictatorship and groupthink habits that as we have seen are dangerous.

2. Ethan Ng Ethan Ng

I also thought that the technology discussion and how it affects our system of power today is quite scary. I thought about how many aren’t great with navigating the online world and how easily they can be manipulated by online sources. Also, the idea of sharing leadership is one that is good but would be regarded as radical in America. We tend to like sticking to tradition.

3. Johnathan Breckenridge Johnathan Breckenridge

I find it fascinating on how big the technology sectors of companies are. Without technology who knows what companies would still be around.

4. Celia Satter Celia Satter

I agree with how you said that we need to start relying more on the followers of groups, not solely the leader, because as you pointed out, listening only to one person and getting all your information from one source is scary and almost unreliable. The concept that all contribute and all take responsibility seems like a very realistic and possible alternative to the hero/militaristic leadership thing we got going on now.

5. Samuel Senders Samuel Senders

I really liked your post and thought you made a series of excellent points. I also found it very interesting how the article challenged how leaders ought to lead as well as the different people able to lead. I also thought the idea of embracing change as well as being able to adapt to change is vital to leadership was very interesting.