Beyond Red and Blue

In the article “Beyond Red and Blue” by Thad Williamson, the fact that Democracy is failing is focused on, and addresses the things that people need to do in order to save it. I found that the point that our nation really needs to work on is the moral humility/ courage point. Williamson states that he means “awareness of the possibility that however deep one’s convictions, one might be wrong, that others views may have morally decent reasons for holding the views they hold” when talking about moral humility (p 7). I think that this is so important to our nation today due to the intense polarization between political parties, that impact how much our government can get done. People are so caught up in the mentality that the only right way is there way, and nobody will hear out the other side. This is key to Democracy, the art of compromising.

I find it very interesting how Williamson not only outlines what people should do to save and make Democracy better, but also discusses the problems that have led to the majority of the people’s frustration and dissatisfaction with the government today. Our political system is hyper competitive, and it makes it so the people in charge are not meeting the demands or needs of the people, instead they are trying to make sure their side stays on top. I think that this is a huge problem, and a major reason why people don’t really care about politics anymore because it’s about seeing who can get the farthest, not about who can do the most for the people, and I think that that is sad.

1. Susan Nevin Susan Nevin

I think that the political climate has in fact become very competitive, and because of this people are not truly listening to what the other parties have to say, even if they are good ideas. By expressing humility, we are willing to listen and understand people with different beliefs, and from there can move to a less competitive environment and do what is best for our country.

2. Nysa Stiell Nysa Stiell

I also thought it was an important point that our democracy is failing because of a desire to further the agenda of one’s party rather than what individuals want and are voting for. With that point, it makes me wonder if individuals would be less opposed to other parties’ viewpoints if the parties were not so divided?

3. Richard Connell Richard Connell

I really agree with your arguments and I think that this is why it is so difficult to become a leader. A great leader has to make room for all walks of life and without doing so, less followers are moving towards that movement or “Common Goal”.