The Real Cure to Bias: Without making someone into your personal spokesperson for their ingroup

The idea of ingroups and outgroups in a very interesting topic to discuss within the compounds of being a student in college. It is an idea that I have explored deeply based on how ingroups and outgroups are also intersectional. Yes, I am a black woman and share this ingroup with a certain population on campus. However, being from the south there is another ingroup created. When talking about the communicative pros and cons there are many that differ depending on which ingroup is being highlighted at the moment. I did not understand exactly how much black woman could disagree on formerly perceived commonly agreed upon ideas, until living with a group of black women from different places and differing backgrounds.

To me, the biggest takeaway from this experience is the fact that people can create their own bridges to outgroups by building in groups whenever it is necessary. The reading talked about socialization and confronting stereotypes by conversing with outgroups. However, I challenge this mindset. Instead of viewing it as educating yourself on an outgroup, view it as acknowledging ingroups. Every student at this university has a commonality. Decisions made by the university big or small affect us all (for the most part). There are people who within this ingroup, also share majors, concentrations and even professors. All of these traits contribute to intersectional ingroups that can connect people more than we allow despite potential differences in race, ethnicity and socio-economic background. The most commonly addressed ingroup versus outgroup topics is about race. Race outside of ethnicity, culture and systematic oppression means absolutely nothing. There are no genetic differences that separate people based on the color of our skin but we create outgroups based on arbitrary lines that have been generational, which also contribute to systems of disparity.

The true way to bridge gaps and foster real equity is to acknowledge ingroups aside from the scary outgroup classifications. Without doing this there is the threat that any intergroup relationships will be one-sided and disingenuine. We are all people, we have goals, we may share them or even share values. Finding commonalities will allow us to forge something real and then see people for who they are along with their outgroup characteristics instead of seeing them as a representative of their outgroup.

One Comment

1. Eliza McCarron Eliza McCarron

I liked. what you said about people creating their own ingroups when necessary. I think it’s easy to see ingroups and outgroups as opposites, but like you said they are actually intersectional.