Ingroups and Outgroups

This reading by Howard and Jane Giles discusses intergroup communication perspective. The division between ingroups and outgroups was a main point of this reading. Ingroups is a social category that you identify with, while an outgroup is a social category that you do not identify with. While this seems like a simple concept, life is not always so black and white. In certain environments, you could be a part of both an group and an out group. The example the reading provided was about how Korean Americans feel like outsiders when they go to the place that they identify with most in the United States.

I realized that since coming to college, there are certain things I identify with when I’m at home that I don’t really identify with here. For example, the music I listen to with my family and friends at home is different than the music I listen to with my friends at Richmond.

This article also mentioned intersectionality, which we talked about in class earlier in the semester. In short, intersectionality is the connection of certain identities – like race, gender, or ability – and how they overlap to create an individual identity.

1. Connor Roswech Connor Roswech

It’s interesting seeing the different types of ingroup/our group dynamics on campus at U of R, and how they compare to the way my friends and I act at home. Different language uses may be seen on campus as a reflection of an ingroup, but back home that could be an outgroup for me. Ingroups and outgroups are complex and are shaped by many formative identities

2. Megan Geher Megan Geher

I think that mentioning intersectionality was very crucial – this concept is basically fundamental to every dynamic or relationship. In any form of communication or leader/follower relationship, intersectionality plays a role.

3. Quinn Maguire Quinn Maguire

I agree that the labels of in group and out group make life seem black and white, which is just not true. I think the intersectionality you discussed can be applied to thinking about in groups and out groups not as whether you fit into one or the other but what combination of in and out you identify with. On top of that, sometimes you can personally identify more with an our group or an in group but people who are already part of that group might not accept you.