Vietnam

In the US I feel that we talk about the civil war and the world war’s much more than the Vietnam. This is odd to me because the Vietnam war was a pretty catastrophe heavy war. In the video I got a sense of the social movements that took place during the war. The anti-protest’s against the war spilled over into much grander issues in the United States. The “unjustness” of the draft caused issues within the United States to be highlighted.

The Civil Rights inequalities was one of the major issues. I feel like the Civil Rights Movement and leaders became stronger because of this. If the African Americans in the US were not being treated fairly, then why should they serve this country? I think the intersection of different movements here is neat. The anti-draft and Civil Rights movements fed off of each other for their arguments. Both groups provided more reasons not to go to war, and not to follow the leader-the United States.

1. Richard Connell Richard Connell

I found something really interesting in the video and that Is that they don’t really bring this topic up extremely often, but watching that riot with the police was outrageous and absolutely not needed to accomplish something TOGETHER!

2. Jacob Kapp Jacob Kapp

it’s interesting to see how many different sets of people conflicted with each other during this time. In my lifetime, race, class, and political affiliation have been the three major characteristics that divide people in a social setting. However, during the Sixties and Seventies, generation was also a dividing characteristic, in large part due to counterculture.

3. Lauren Stenson Lauren Stenson

Thank you so much for the acknowledgment of intersectionality. Black men were fighting for their lives in this country and expected to fight for other people in another country. And this was all for a system that does not value their lives. Black men were being lynched and also being drafted. These movements were empowering and humanizing when the law was not, for that I am grateful.

4. Victoria Devlin Victoria Devlin

I agree with the point you made about how the Civil Rights inequalities played a big role in the movement. African Americans were being treated as if they were less than white Americans yet, were still expected to take pride in the country that mistreated them and serve in the army.

5. Angel Burgos Angel Burgos

You make a good point about the civil rights inequalities. Of course African Americans wouldn’t want to serve a country that repressed them for so long.

6. Hannah Levine Hannah Levine

I agree I definitely think we put way more emphasis on the civil war and world wars because the Vietnam war is an embarrassing aspect of our history. I also agree that the intersection of different protests during the Vietnam war is unparalleled. So many movements were able to build off of each other.

7. Lucas Unger Lucas Unger

I completely agree that it was unjust for African American men to serve the country that oppressed them for so long. These readings and videos are quickly giving me more knowledge and insight into why the African American population did what they did during the civil rights movement.