Vietnam Protest Movement

Before watching this video, I had no idea that so much resistance took place in the United States at the time of the Vietnam war. I was surprised to hear that the anti-war movement began on college campuses nationwide as a protest against the war and the draft. Specifically, the killings of Kent State really disturbed me. These killings marked the climax of the antiwar movement, as the government fired on its own children, and I am extremely shocked that our nation got to that point of extremism and violence. 

I think it is really important to consider the role of leadership in these events. Around 1967, civil rights leaders began publicly speaking up against the war. MLK, for instance, stated in one of his speeches that “[the bombs in Vietnam] destroy the dream and possibility for a decent America.” In addition to verbally opposing the war, he also described, “war is not peace and tyranny is not freedom.” In my opinion, this last quote is extremely inspiring because MLK proves that the war has more disadvantages than benefits. In fact, increased militancy caused increased anger and backlash, which explains how the protests rapidly turned violent.

1. Anna Marston Anna Marston

I agree with you that the shootings at Kent State were extremely unsettling– why should people be killed on behalf of them standing up for what they believe in? And who gets to decide this? That’s the question we must keep in mind when analyzing social movements in the United States that often face much backlash from authority.

2. Lindsey Frank Lindsey Frank

the Kent State shootings also struck me as disturbing and I was so shocked at the extremes that people went to end others from fighting for their beliefs.

3. Angel Burgos Angel Burgos

The killings at Kent state disturbed me as well, but I didn’t shock me that the nation got to that point of “extremism and violence” when slavery was actually a thing and they still wanted African Americans to serve in the war.