20th Century

It is now apparent to me that young teens and college students have a lot of power in the realm of protest and political movements. Time and time again they have stood up for what they believed and became the front lines of protest. Back in high school, I along with my friend lead many walkouts in my school, but I thought that because Chicago was so progressive, it was the only place such acts would be seen. But now learning more about the specifics behind political movements such as war, racial justice, and women’s right to vote, it is clear that we college students have the power to lead. 

This video was very eye-opening to me because it shows how the US has dealt with civil disobedience throughout history. It’s not surprising why we still see police take advantage of their power and turn around and defend it with “they felt like their lives were in danger.” Something else that captured my attention was how the Vietnam veterans felt about the war coming back home. Today I see veterans proud to have served this country, but the fact that these veterans went as far as to throw their metals back shows how unwilling they were in going to war in the first place. 

This poses my question which is, what is our current Vietnam war? What is something our country is so politically or socially separated on that we are willing to protest to see change?

Be First to Comment