Women’s Rights

I had learned somewhat in previous classes about the similarities and differences of the Women’s rights movement with the Civil Rights movement, but the videos did a good job harboring home the idea that the Women’s rights movement was a white women’s movement. Just like all of the other myths that we have been busting in class, the women’s rights movement is celebrated for its work to make all women equal. In reality, white women gained momentum to rise up because they saw black men doing the same thing, and decided that they could not stand being considered inferior to black men by law.

It is so absurd that such an important social movement like women’s rights grew out a fear of race, and that we are okay with dismissing that knowledge today in its celebration. Additionally, while the women’s rights movement and civil rights movements were both actively engaged in the same goal, they were so divided. The whole idea that the women’s movement gained the success that it did because the women in lead were white relates to our conversations about how it is really hard to make changes if you do not have certain privileges, which explains why our “great leaders” in history tend to be white, and most are male.

1. Sean Bailis Sean Bailis

I also agree that it is crazy that a push for women’s rights had a racial aspect to it, especially at this point in history, long after the 13th-15th amendments were added to the constitution. I believe that they, women and African-Americans, should’ve fought together considering they were fighting for the same things, in reality, the right to be equal.

2. Micaela Willoughby Micaela Willoughby

The emphasis on women’s suffrage having been a white women’s movement is SUCH an important point that I am also glad the videos covered! Honestly, I have to wonder where black women fit in history. Why exactly were they ignored? Was there ever a movement with black women at the head of it? Or honestly, any minority women? It’s really frustrating. I’m not sure if it was this that, but in one of my classes we talked about black women becoming “Invisible” in history. Seems to hold true here.

3. Quinn Maguire Quinn Maguire

I agree and I think it is definitely important to draw attention to the fact that the women’s rights movement was not for equal rights for all. The point that disgusted me, to be quite honest, was the fact that some women, white women, fought for their suffrage by saying they needed the educated white woman vote to counter-balance the uneducated black man vote. Not that we all think that the women’s rights movement is perfect, but this is yet another example of how myths can and are being debunked every day with more and more information. Sometimes it is ugly but ultimately I think ignorance is bliss and bliss cannot be forever.

4. Nysa Stiell Nysa Stiell

I think it is important that we acknowledge that the women’s movement was a white women’s movement. As a black woman, it is difficult for me to understand how women, who have already been in the position of subordination, can only fight for women of their race and not focus on all women but it does come down to race and white women being above women of color.

5. Jesse Chiotelis Jesse Chiotelis

I really liked your commentary on how the movement is remembered as the Women’s Rights Movement even though the movement was really advocating for the rights of white women. I do agree that it connects to our discussion about how it is “hard to make changes if you do not have certain privileges”. It makes me wonder if there were more colored woman in and advocating for their rights at the same time if it would affect the success of the movement in a negative or positive way. I think this uncertainty is why some ” are okay with dismissing that knowledge today in its celebration ” however I also think the public should be educated about the whole, clear truth .