Bad Ideas Podcast

This podcast was so interesting. It’s just so extremely fascinating to me that Jones began as an activist of racial, economic, and social inequality before transitioning into these dark and twisted practices.

What is also intriguing is how reluctant everyone was to leave the place despite the russian roulette of suicide drinks. This is representative of the impact Jones had on the people, and how powerful a leader can be. Although they were claims of the people to be brainwashed, these people wholeheartedly followed Jones because they believed in his message. This demonstrates that the powerful of a leader, despite the detrimental consequences of Jones’ practices in particular, is unmatched.

One Comment

1. Samuel Senders Samuel Senders

I really enjoyed reading your post and thought you made a series of excellent points. I believe the reason why so many people stuck with this church was that in the beginning, he brought about a lot of equality and tried to end segregation. He brought about happiness in their lives and purpose so the congregation constantly sought that out.