Jonestown

Having not known much about the story of Jonestown, I thought the podcast was super interesting. I think it’s crazy that Jim Jones actually started off as a really good guy. The podcast mentions that the formation of his church was based on social change. The church worked to feed the hungry, preach racial equality, and integrate Indianapolis. Even when things started to go in the wrong direction, Jones genuinely believed that he was doing the right thing.

At the end of the podcast, the hosts compared Jones to a psychopath or a serial killer. They said that his background of an abusive father and overprotective mother fit the pattern of a typical psychopath, as well as his ability to use charm to get what he wanted. The problem with this comparison is that Jones thought he was doing these terrible acts for the benefit of his community. In his twisted way, he cared about their wellbeing, unlike a psychopath who lacks that emotion.

1. Jocelyn Hernandez Jocelyn Hernandez

I disagree to a certain extent. I believe the comparison is not spot on, but I blive Jim Jones became someone who did not care. To be able to manipulate and form a plan to kill his followersfor some crazy ideas he created, I dint think he cared for them or even felt emotions.

2. Sean Bailis Sean Bailis

I ould tend to disagree with your comparison, as I do believe that he was just being manipulative to get what he wanted, not for what he thought would benefit the community. However, also knowing little to nothing about Jonestown, I was also shocked to see that he started out as such a “good” guy, considering just how much of a psychopath he turned out to be.

3. Kendall Duffy Kendall Duffy

I also found it crazy how Jim Jones started out as a good guy but in the end, is known as a psychopath. It is crazy how he completely changed into a new person and must of that was because of power. It is interesting how he is compared to a psychopath even though he was actually caring about his followers well being.