Domination/subordination

Miller talks about two different inequalities right off the bat. I think this is a really unnoticed idea in todays society. With temporary inequality we look at it as generally a positive thing. For example, parents raising children and teaching them manners. Permanent inequality is based off uncontrollable characteristics such as race. However, many times society is so polarized I feel we can not make the distinction between temporary and permanent inequality.

Finding that distinction is very crucial. For example, a teacher can be teaching a kid that he or she is already inferior. When the two inequalities intersect, I think it can lead into mass permanent inequality. These kinds of inequalities are hard to find as they are done in a covered up way. Distinguishing between healthy temporary leadership and unhealthy permanent leadership is important to stay clear of possible tyrannicide and dictatorship. These articles made me wonder if we have all been under permanent inequality, but we just do not know how?

1. Jason Neff Jason Neff

When you talked about the mass permanent inequality it made me think what are the possible outcomes to something like this and it was an interesting point. I agree with your view that finding the distinction between permanent inequality and temporary inequality is most of the time very difficult.

2. Richard Connell Richard Connell

I really like your point about the distinction between permanent and temporary inequality. It is a very difficult distinction to think about whether or not you will be able to accomplish anything out of a situation making it a temporary or permanent inequality.

3. Lindsey Frank Lindsey Frank

I agree with the fact that it is difficult to differentiate permanent and temporary inequality and I like the question you ended the post with. I thought that the example of inequality within a school or classroom was interesting as well.

4. Sofia Torrens Sofia Torrens

I agree, I did not think of the temporary inequality examples Miller gave as true examples of inequality in my life. However, when reading through the reasoning I now understand that there is a dominant and subordinate relationship especially dealing with parents and teachers.

5. Victoria Devlin Victoria Devlin

I liked how you brought up the idea that temporary inequality is normally considered to be a positive thing but in certain circumstances it can change to a negative thing. I agree with you that in our society, we have a difficult time being able to distinguish the difference between temporary and permanent inequality allowing permanent inequality to be more pertinent.

6. Jacob Kapp Jacob Kapp

I completely agree with your point about the murkiness in temporary and permanent inequality in today’s society. In a political environment that is so easily controlled by media, determining what is temporary.

7. Angel Burgos Angel Burgos

I agree that it is difficult to differentiate permanent and temporary inequality. And I think in some way we have all experienced permanent inequality.

8. Hannah Levine Hannah Levine

I had never really thought of the relationship between a parent and a child as a form of inequality until Miller’s reading. The different between temporary inequality and permanent inequality is definitely unnoticed, or at least unacknowledged in our society. I really like how you made the point that sometimes it is hard to make the distinction between the two. If a child is constantly being told that they are less than, how will they ever think that they are equal?