Domination/Subordination

The first article is broken down into four categories of temporary inequality, permanent inequality, dominants, and subordinates. Temporary examples of inequality are those between parents and children and students and teachers. This inequality is not explicitly stated but it is implied in the relationship structure of these two groups. The superior person has the ability to positively impact the lesser person in the relationship in a positive way. In a sense, it is their duty to do so as well. This type of relationship has the most amount of gray area in it because people are unsure how much power they are to give to the “lesser” person as well as their ability to express themselves openly. The article next discusses the topic of permanent inequality which mostly consists of your sex, nationality, religion, and other factors you are born with that you do not have control over. The goal in this is to not end the inequality but rather keep the inequality and have the superior take advantage of the lesser. Relating to dominants the dominants define a group as inferior they are known to be defective or dumb. The dominant tend to talk down to the inferiors and try to knock them down rather than build them up. Whereas subordinates have to focus solely on basic survival. Their main goal is to please their superiors. 

The topic on dominants made me reflect back upon what I learned in my Leadership 102 class relating to implicit biases. The examples used were that of African American men, white women, African American women, and white men relating to car salesman. They discovered that more minority groups and women that a significant price increase was placed upon the price of the car. Black men were offered the second-highest prices, and black women were offered the highest prices because there is this implicit bias around them that they lack intelligence. I also took an implicit bias test relating to my preference for skinny vs. obese people. What I discovered is that I had an implicit bias against obese people. The reason being that they are seen as unintelligent and lazy due to their weight.    

One Comment

1. Jason Neff Jason Neff

I agree with everything you said in the first paragraph about temporary inequality, permanent inequality, dominants and subordinates. I also like the example you used with different minority groups and the car salesman.