Groupthink

The idea of “groupthink” is an interesting form of decision making. Janis talks about how in multiple social-psychological studies, members of a group automatically feel more accepted than others. This causes members of the group that may think differently or have different opinions than the rest of the group to hold back on input they may have that they think would work better in whatever situation a decision is being made in. To me, this is a negative side effect of “groupthink.” Janis writes about “groupthink” as an inferior form of decision making in my opinion and I agree. There are so many factors such as invulnerability that make “groupthink” ineffective. I also believe that it is much easier to be overoptimistic and make dangerous and irrational decisions in a group.

Janis uses the Bay of Pigs as an example of a “groupthink” decision. It is pointed out that some of the greatest intellectual minds of American government were involved in making the Bay of Pigs decision. I also think it is interesting how Janis says that the people involved with big failures in decision making in history are “victims” of “groupthink.” I think this is true because of course people want to make the right decisions that will lead them to success, but working in a group can unintentionally ruin intentions.

1. Leah Kulma Leah Kulma

I slightly disagree with your statement that “groupthink” is ineffective. I don’t think it is always ineffective, and neither did Janis as they admitted in their writing. Group collaboration can be incredibly powerful as long as it remains healthy and not toxic.

2. Megan Geher Megan Geher

I understand your point about the negative aspect of “groupthink,” the fact that some members of the group may feel more confident in their opinion etc. However, this is kind of inevitable and any group work ever will experience these problems. This being said I disagree that “groupthink” is ineffective.

3. Micaela Willoughby Micaela Willoughby

I thought the phrasing “victims” was interesting too. It was almost a little jarring, too. Rather than calling the group, uh, folk members, she referred to them as victims. It sort of makes groupthink into a disease, a kind of temporary, disorienting mental state like cabin-fever. That being said, the comments above say they don’t view groupthink as being ineffective… Janis describes groupthink as almost an ailment. And at the end of the article, she offers “REMEDIES.” Groupthink isn’t good.