Groupthink

The concept of “groupthink” is very interesting because it makes sense that if you are in a very close, cohesive group, you won’t want to stray from the majority because you will feel isolated. However, when it comes to serious matters such as the Bay of Pigs, it would obviously make sense to try and think about the situation from all perspectives, like how the Cuban Missile Crisis was carried out. But also, it is really easy for me to say this because I am on the outside looking in and I can see why alternative opinions are needed. This goes back to the article by Janis and how those who are guilty of groupthink probably don’t even realize that they are doing it.

When looking at groupthink from a less serious matter, because Janis stated that it can happen in business and other areas as well, it seems like something that would happen less because in situations that are not as critical like protecting the United States, dissenting opinions are encouraged. Personally, I was always taught to say what I believe or to speak out when I either question something or do not agree (when appropriate of course). People even debate for fun because arguing different sides makes things exciting.

Overall, I think that it can be important to get opposing opinions in any crucial decision, no matter how big or small. I agree with Janis about how ending groupthink can be difficult when time plays a factor but I think that understanding how Kennedy carried out the Cuban Missile Crisis can be a huge help since he kept the same administration as the Bay of Pigs but allowed for a bunch of people to input their doubts and fears on the topic at hand.

1. Jocelyn Hernandez Jocelyn Hernandez

I agree with you and your views on groupthink. I belive it is imoortant to have opposing veiws, so that the presure to agree with one solution without question does not occur. This theory of groupthink helped me better understand why we having doffreit political parties anfd their impotance in making decisions in government.

2. Charlotte Moynihan Charlotte Moynihan

You make an excellent point about how much easier it is to point out flaws from the outside. That to me begs the question of how we can become more aware of our actions in the moment and objectively evaluate ourselves.

3. Nysa Stiell Nysa Stiell

I completely agree that groupthink is bound to happen more often in larger, more urgent situations rather than in smaller situations. In more serious situations there is an emphasis on making the right decision and knowing whose decision it was. Often, no one wants to be blamed for making a wrong call which is why groupthink happens more often .

4. Kendall Duffy Kendall Duffy

I agree with you on your views of groupthink. I think it is also easier to pick out different flaws that occur looking from the outside. I also agree with how you said it is important to get other people’s opinions and views because that can ultimately change your mind.