The Servant as a Leader

I strongly agree with the notion that the best leaders start off as a servant or under a leaders wing. It is extremely rare that we see people go straight into a leadership position without learning the roles and renditions of a good leader. The type of servant to lead is more natural and attains the qualities of a great role model. These servant leaders are better leaders in the sense that they are able to relate and connect with their followers due to the simple fact that they were once in the shoes of their followers. To begin with a humble outlook on your position, the role comes much easier. Humility is attained a lot easier and with less effort and is pertained better.

In Hesse’s story, Journey to the East, this fictional story obtains the idea of Leo as a servant joining them. When their “journey” begins to go in a different direction than expected he is there and ready for the fall. This is because of his energy and overall charisma that he brings. He has an energetic stigma attached to him in a positive manner that makes him show signs of potentially being a good leader in the near future.

1. Indya Woodfolk Indya Woodfolk

While I think it is important that servant leaders truly understand the needs of their constituents, and agree with your statements, I wonder if there are beneficial qualities from being born into this role. Although each leader has to still learn their own way around leadership, how different are these processes?

2. Megan Geher Megan Geher

I am inclined to agree with the concept that “the best leaders start off as a servant or under a leader’s wing.” It is important to consider the leader’s role as a role model and ability to lead while appearing as a model citizen for his or her citizens. This post made me think back to what percentage of a leader’s effectiveness is inherent, and what percentage is learned and can be taught?

3. Ryan Leizman Ryan Leizman

It seems logical that distinguishing the best leaders should come from an even playing field, but is that even feasible in a society that is so divided by race, gender, socioeconomic status, and more. The servant leadership in this sense may be an unattainable goal because those who climb up to leadership roles may have some sort of advantage that we do not even consider. I agree with your statement that servant leaders are better situated for leadership roles, but it’s worth noting whether someone can be defined as a servant at all.