Humility

Humility is an interesting characteristic when talking about leaders. Ruscio points out that in todays society humility is often forgotten as leaders should be confident and bold. Showing humility as a leader can be the most effective approach to convey your ideas. Humility helps connect the leader with the followers and vice versa. One of MLK’s most essential attributes was that he was humble. The words and imagery that come to mind when I think about him are quite humble. The first image that comes to mind is him writing his Letter from Birmingham Jail.

The example of George Washington addressing his soldiers is a great example to portray what humility can accomplish for a leader. First, it is very effective because Washington was a pioneer in the founding of America. He used the stage that he was on to establish a very important relationship with people he never even personally met through his humility. Second, it is very effective simply due to the fact that humility is one of the hardest attributes to have while being a militaristic leader. However, his humility made him that much more of an effective leader in the war.

1. Marisa Daugherty Marisa Daugherty

I completely agree that humility is often overlooked when we are evaluating leaders in today’s society. Leaders are expected to be powerful and threatening not soft. We don’t want a leader who will cave so we juxtapose that with wanting a leader who is the opposite. Humility is often lost in that desire even though humility makes a better leader.

2. Angel Burgos Angel Burgos

I agree that humility as a leadership trait is overlooked. Showing humility can be very effective when in a leadership position, but I also believe humility can be mistaken as a weakness.