Machiavelli

Within this article, Machiavelli elaborated on the idea that fear should be instilled in the people in order for new ideologies to be introduced. He says how people have been accustomed to their own ways therefore creating resistance for new power. However, once that new power is established, the reign won’t last before citizens begin to resist in order to return to what it was before.

He goes on to explain how leaders like Moses, Cyrus, and Romulus have traits and actions that helped to create their success as leaders. He states, “and if their particular actions and methods are examined they will not appear very different”(104). Meaning that when you analyze their actions and traits, that these leaders are very similar. I found this interesting when relating it to our class discussion regarding charismatic leadership because of what makes a leader charismatic and how individuals share traits and actions that make them successful. In addition, i thought it was important how he added that opportunities presented themselves and these leaders ceased them in order to fulfill their goals for the people. In order for those traits to emerge, opportunities must surface to enable these leaders to take action.

1. Ellen Curtis Ellen Curtis

Our country has become so polarized that people are always fearful of people in a different party taking things away from them. To me, this seems like part of what caused Trump to be elected president. He was able to appeal to the fears of conservative Americans, leading to a switch in ruling ideology.

2. Richard Bell Richard Bell

While some people don’t like change, I think it is important for everyone to realize that it can be for the best. I agree that it is interesting that he talks about how much a situation matters. We don’t realize that while the leaders are great, if there was no reason for their cause then they may have never become a leader.

3. Johnathan Breckenridge Johnathan Breckenridge

I agree with your tie to charismatic leadership. While reading it began to seem like being loved/hated was a characteristic of a charismatic leader.

4. Susan Nevin Susan Nevin

I don’t’ necessarily agree with him in the idea that fear should be introduced. I may be effective, but isn’t a healthy way to instill change. I think you need strong emotion to change something, but by getting an audience passionate about something it will also be effective, but through a different emotion.

5. Samuel Senders Samuel Senders

I really enjoyed reading your post and agree with your first sentence in your post. The reason being if people are unafraid the test your authority you seem week and do not seem to be a good king. Therefore instilling fear will get your followers to listen to you. Another thing I found interesting was the quote “Whoever becomes the ruler of a free city and does not destroy it, can expect to be destroyed by it.” Which shows who crucial the value of fear is.

6. Ethan Ng Ethan Ng

I believe that instilling fear may be something that charismatic leaders can possess but is not a trait of charismatic leadership. It may be a part of the vision that a leader has and even touches on the eloquence of a leader. These leaders are effective in instilling fear which allows them to make more significant gains in terms of meeting their goals because there is less resistance.