Leader Follower Relationship

Mabey’s statement that today’s typical American consists of “spectator-citizens waiting for the right type of leader(s)” when describing the leader follower relationship, which I don’t completely agree with. Then he goes on to say that leaders appear somewhat away from the actual culture, and dependent on by citizens. When talking about political leaders I completely disagree with this. However, if talking about a leader as someone who efficiently communicates to masses, then I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing. I think most leaders in that sense are seen above the masses, with more authority (but not deatached), and because of this they are able to speak on behalf of the masses. Along with this, even toxic charismatic leaders base what that do and say on their followers. Followers play a big role in this process, and leaders both good and bad recognize this.

I do agree with his points that there are certain unrealistic expectations set on leaders and that our models of leader follower relationships need to be reevaluated. I feel like in today’s society, with so many things affecting us so terribly, more and more people are becoming active citizens at younger ages, even if it’s not by choice. For example, we can’t just sit around and wait for someone to do something to fix the environment, if we did we all would be dead. In conclusion, active citizenship is an important leadership role. Also, followers need to follow with a mission and for a reason, not just waiting for the leader to do something. 

1. Anna Marston Anna Marston

I completely agree with you about the magnitude of the concept of “citizen leadership”; in the divisive political climate of today, more and more young people are at the forefront of political activism. While a leader can call to action and encourage followers, it is ultimately up to the everyday citizens to make collective changes.

2. Lauren Stenson Lauren Stenson

I definitely agree with this statement. I think a lot of the time when we have strong leaders followers interpret this a scapegoat to no longer contributing. Simultaneously, people with great leadership qualities outside of the leadership role do not live up to their potential which hurts everyone. If we reframed this leader-follower dynamic we would be much more monumental and revolutionary as a community as a whole.