Them Crazy Victorians

The podcast was quite interesting in the approach it took to the entire Herstory section of thought and how it directly contradicts the idea of The Great man theory by Thomas Carlyle. It intrigued me how they pointed out how much of what we view as history is thanks to “crazy Victorians and their ideas about how the world works.” it was eye opening that one group of individuals, from 200ish years ago, could have so much impact on how social standards are followed, and viewed today.

It was also nice how they ladies mentioned the people’s history movement. I strongly believe that telling history/herstory form all angles is so very important as it shows us what everyone is and was thinking about a topic at a certain time, not just those with lots of money and prowess. The part where the Smithsonian writer talked about how she would write stories on the true unsung heroes of science, not just the well known ones like Marie Curie, really shows the importance of people’s history as great people tend not to get recorded unless they break all the rules.

On a side note I loved how they just kept trashing the people who acted like they knew something about women in history just due to the fact they knew about Marie Curie

1. Ellen Curtis Ellen Curtis

I also found it very interesting to think about the fact that we are still trapped by Victorian ideas. It seems that this time was both so long ago and just yesterday at the same time. I totally agree that we should be looking at history for a variety of perspectives. For so long we have allowed history to be written by important male figures and it is time to change that.

2. Micaela Willoughby Micaela Willoughby

It was really neat how they mentioned the significance in explaining herstory/history from a People’s POV. It’s something I hadn’t really thought about deeply, but now the cogs are turning. I do have to wonder how it’s possible though. History is already recorded. Scores of people were illiterate their entire lives and despite what they may have done, I doubt anyone recorded anything about them. It’s depressing how many great minds have slipped through the cracks of history. I do like the notion of acknowledging that fact though, and taking history with a grain (or tablespoon) of salt.

3. Samuel Senders Samuel Senders

I also think it is very interesting how 19th century victorian ideals are still present in our modern society. You would think after 200 years they would be transformed but are very much so present in our society. It’s hard for women who do not possess the masculine theories involved with G.M.T. to be recognized and I think it is a major problem. A better job needs to be done of recording history of all genders, races, and ethnicities with all different characteristics.

4. Lucas Unger Lucas Unger

I also agree that it is important to hear history from many points of view in order to get a better picture.