Richard III response

In every sense of the word, Richard III is a tyrant. In class, we discussed how a leader had to either illegally seize power or abuse their power for personal benefit to be considered a tyrant, and Richard does both. We also determined that a tyrant knows that they are a tyrant. In the movie, there is a scene where Richard wakes up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat, and proclaims that he is a villain. In her paper, Bezio compares Richard to United States President Donald Trump. While Trump is often called a tyrant in the media, I believe that giving him this title is a bit of a reach based on these three criteria. Although there is some controversy as to whether Trump was involved in collusion to win the office, I think it is fair to say that Trump did not illegally usurp power. In his interviews from the 80s and 90s, his tone makes it seem like he genuinely believed he would make a good president, not for pride or to boost his ego, but because he thought he saw ways to make America profitable. Finally, we will never know for sure whether or not he sees himself as a tyrant; I have a feeling that even he did, he would not be very forthcoming about it, especially ahead of another election.

While I do not believe Trump is a tyrant, I do believe that he has some tyrannical tendencies. One could make the argument that it is a politicians job to influence the public, but I think that Trump’s mudslinging strategies against his challengers reaches into the manipulation category. During his campaign, Trump exemplified the idea that “all press is good press.” To his credit, his strategy worked. His outlandish accusations against his opposition, sexually and racially charged comments, and his celebrity status were enough to get the attention of voters, and his idealistic promises were enough to get many of those voters to support him. One behavior is not enough to earn a label like tyrant, but it is hard to deny that Trump possess traits that one might describe as tyrannical.

1. Ryan Leizman Ryan Leizman

I agree that while Trump does have tyrannical tendencies, it is dangerous to assume he is as evil compared to Richard III. While we cannot forget his past actions, comparing him to a power-hungry, murderer creates an extreme and damaging view of Trump. Whether that view is fair or not, should be determined by his actions not how similar he is to a crazed medieval king.

2. Micaela Willoughby Micaela Willoughby

Trump definitely does have tyrannical tendencies, but I’m not positive I would label him as a tyrant either, especially with the context of some of the last documents we read on tyranny and tyrannicide. Perhaps this has more to do with the systems that the US has in place than Trump himself. I wonder how Trump would behave as a leader if put in another temporal context, considering how charismatic he is.

3. Samuel Senders Samuel Senders

I completely agree with how you differentiated Richard III and Donald Trump as one being a tyrant and the other just having tyrannical tendencies. The definition of a tyrant as we discussed in class is someone who usurps power illegally and uses the power for their own personal benefit which is what Richard III does. Where as Trump may have tyrannical tendencies he did not usurp power illegally.

4. Ethan Ng Ethan Ng

After reading, it is clear that tyrannical behavior is the same even the extremity of one’s actions are not. Richard was a murderer as Bezio points out Trump is not. At least I hope not. Basically, their toxic charismatic traits allowed them to thrive with power and enabled tyrannical actions.

5. Lucas Unger Lucas Unger

I agree with you that Trump very much manipulated the press to gain their support, but you can say this about almost every president. I think that Trump, differing from past presidents, does have more of a toxic charisma about him but definitely does not see himself as a tyrant nor do I think he is one.