Richard III

I think it’s very easy to see from the outside how Richard was being manipulative, especially because he talked to the camera. Seeing how easy it was for him to trick people into thinking and agreeing with him on whatever he said is scary. (Also how in the world did he convince that girl to marry him in the beginning right next to her dead husband?? I am still shook about that). Including Dr. Bezio’s article, I really liked the point about how women were Richard’s overall downfall because I had not thought of it in that way. The quote from Richard when he talked about being able to murder while smiling and how he smiled as he fell to his death was actually terrifying.

I’d like to say it is easy to prevent bad leaders from gaining power but both Richard and Trump had a way of making enough people believe them and the fact that they were able to do it, and that this tactic stems from such a long time ago makes me more concerned for America than I was already. As I was watching the movie, all I could think about was how these people let him get this far and how disgusting Richard was. Then I read Dr. Bezio’s article and I was appalled by how I had not seen just how manipulative Trump had been to the American people. I knew he had lied and done bad things but seeing how Richard didn’t even care about his actions and then the connection to Richard and Trump, it’s sad to know that someone like those two men had any power given to them at all.

1. Charlotte Moynihan Charlotte Moynihan

I think you make a great point about how it’s sometimes difficult to stop bad leaders from gaining power as it’s impossible to know someone’s true intentions. Is there anything more that we as voters can do to prevent bad leaders from taking power or are some people just too manipulative to prevent?

2. Sean Bailis Sean Bailis

I couldn’t agree more on your point about it SHOULD be to prevent bad people from taking positions of power. Unfortunately, because of the nature of toxic leaders, their thirst for power causes them to manipulate people which is how they end up getting power.