Tyrannicide

Tyrannicide is an interesting topic to discuss in the United States in the year 2019. With all the security around the highest position of power in the Country, the president, I would never think of the President being killed. This is just the most “cliche” scenario for Americans as we all know it can happen on many different levels of a contemporary patriarchy. The David George article revealed how natural Tyrannicide is and how countries have been established on this ideology. This is a topic today, particularly in the United States, that is not discussed very much today but is an event that can take place.

The article by Andrade informs of a more recent view on Tyrannicide. While killing a Tyrant is always controversial, if it benefits the country or society as a whole it makes sense. Whether or not it will work is not guaranteed to succeed. As Sammy mentioned in is post about the killing of Saddam Hussein it can result in arguably a worse scenario. All in all, it is a concept that humans have lived off of for hundreds of years. There is something to note about Tyrannicide if it still a prevalent topic in todays society.

1. Angel Burgos Angel Burgos

You make a good point about tyrannicide in 2019 in the US specifically. We would be shocked if we found out Trump was assassinated by someone who thought the country would be better without him, but maybe not so shocked if we read about a tyrant in a 3rd world country being killed.

2. Richard Connell Richard Connell

I agree with your point about how our country would completely go into shock if assassination of high power positions were to occur during recent times. But I would like to disagree that killing someone is the answer even if they are as bad, or committed activities as bad as, Saddam Hussein they deserve to be punished absolutely but being killed or taking someones life is very extreme. I think if it someone who has done things as bad as Saddam, then sentence him to the worst prison and see how he acts and if all else fails then maybe consider death. This is how I see it.

3. Victoria Devlin Victoria Devlin

I agree with your observation that an assassination would be unheard of in our society. The amount of security has increased insanely especially since JFK and Abraham Lincoln. You hear a lot these days about people talking about assassinating our current president , but that is highly unlikely to happen due to his high security and the country would not know what to do if that occurred.

4. Eyga Williamson Eyga Williamson

I like your observation about the greater good and how sometimes that plays into how a term is looked at. Your comment that it is so natural in some places but yet ‘unthought’ here I do not agree with completely because there are many that do think of such presidential assassinations, especially in the most recent two elections, but then I do agree that the instances are different, as in many places that tyrannicide occurs are experiencing extreme conditions.

5. Alexandra Smith Alexandra Smith

I agree with your observations, for the most part. The assasination of the president, whether you agree with his policies or not, would shake our country to its core because we take such extensive security measures to ensure his safety. The largest issue with tyrannicide is the uncertainty afterwards. Was this truly performed for the “greater good”? Is there a sufficient alternative government ready to step-in? Will the situation improve? This questions can’t be answered until later in the future which is why I think that people in modern times talk more about “terrorism” opposed to “tyrannicide.”